Wednesday, June 1, 2011

funny elementary school kids

I've had a few funny incidents at my elementary schools recently --
1. I got a standing ovation ... for taking a bite of an apple.
I usually eat lunch with the elementary kids, but I often bring my own lunch. I normally eat an apple with my lunch, and this is a big source of entertainment for the students. I'm pretty sure that every time these kids have ever eaten an apple that it has been sliced and peeled. That's just how Japanese people eat apples. So, when I pull my whole, unpeeled apple out of my lunch bag and just take a bite it causes a shock for them. In one of my classes, one kid saw me take the apple out of my bag and then told all of his friends to look. So they all did. And they all erupted in applause when I took a bite. It made me very self conscious.
2. Last week I ate with a group of first graders. They like to ask me questions, and I can usually understand first-grade level Japanese. So the kids asked me about where I'm from, and then they wanted to know how long it takes to get from the USA to Japan. When I told them my flight was 14 hours, they were amazed -- I think they thought that I do that commute daily. Their teacher explained it to them, but they were still concerned and kept trying to get him to clarify something. I couldn't catch all of it, but I did understand when the teacher reassured the kids that the airplanes have a toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment