Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dakumon Marathon

This weekend I ran my last race in Japan (probably): a 5km at the Dakumon Marathon, about an hour and a half north of Himeji. I was pretty surprised to open the race packet and find the course elevation chart, which had a ridiculous upward slope from the beginning of the race. During my warmup I figured out that it was no joke and that the course went up a really big hill.
I started the race and attempted to manage the hill as best I could. I wanted to try to keep a strong pace going up but not completely wear myself out. Unfortunately, I guess I haven't done enough hill work because I couldn't manage it. Roughly two-thirds of the way up the hill I just broke, leading to a really slow second kilometre. I just had no power and drive left in my legs. After it flattened out, I continued to struggle for a bit then eventually recovered a bit and got the pace back up. I got rolling on the downhill finish, but the damage had been done. Whew.
-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment