Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Turtles

As part of my introduction lesson at elementary schools, the students usually ask me what animal I like. I tell them I like turtles. I never thought this little piece of information would matter. Last week, however, a group of seventh-grade students came to the door of the teachers' room. They talked to one of the Japanese teachers, but I could hear my name. The Japanese teacher came over to one of the English teachers and had her translate to me. It turned out that one of the girls had found a turtle in the road. She and her friends remembered that I liked turtles, so they brought it back to school to see if I would take it home. We're not supposed to have pets, and this was a full-sized adult pond turtle, so I wouldn't have known where to put it anyways, so I had to decline. I think they could have just thrown it back in the canal; I see several turtles in there when I walk to school every morning.
-Jason

1 comment: