Wednesday, January 20, 2010

kyudo (Japanese archery)

I had my first kyudo lesson on Tuesday!
I was in the "I have no idea what I'm doing" group, plus I have the handicap of not having any idea what the teacher is saying. (Luckily, there is a guy who can help translate for me). But, the teacher was really nice and did a good job of gesturing and helping me figure it out.
The bow is huge. It's actually taller than I am. I felt really tough just imagining myself using it. They didn't let me anywhere near the equipment, but once they do I will be sure to get a picture. **This is just a picture I found on the internet. I wanted you to see how big the bow is.**
I practiced using a mock bow with a rubber band. It felt like a supersized sling shot. There is a whole wind-up process that you have to go through, so we learned that and then practiced all of the motions. When it was my turn to demonstrated for the teacher he actually had trouble helping me because I'm so much taller than he is -- but when I finished the translator told me he said I was strong ... and tall.

Anyone want to take bets on just how far I am from the target when I actually get to take my first shot? I'm just hoping that I actually hit the backdrop they have behind the target and don't send my arrow (or bow for that matter) careering into the gym wall.

1 comment:

  1. Chelsey
    I think we were just doing that on the Wii last night -- piece of cake!
    --Mom

    ReplyDelete