Monday, May 2, 2011

A Night at the Races

On one of our nights in Hong Kong we headed to the Happy Valley Racecourse for some horse racing. Chelsey had read that horse racing was a big deal in Hong Kong so she wanted to go. She'd never been to horse racing before, so it was up to me to explain how the betting worked. It turned out to be slightly different - a place bet in Hong Kong is the same as a show bet in Canada, so I had to figure that out - but we got the hang of it quickly.
Chelsey actually got it right away, picking winners in the first two races. We each made a minimum bet on every race, and between the two of us we picked winners in the first seven of the eight races. We might have gone eight-for-eight, but I got excited in the last race and decided to make a quinella bet, since I'd never done that before. One of the horses I picked ended up winning the race, but the longshot I paired with him didn't come through, costing us our perfect night.
The grandstand at Happy Valley was a pretty big complex - much bigger than Northlands in Edmonton, and I think bigger than Del Mar in California. It made it seem like horse racing really must be a big deal there, even though it wasn't that crowded on the night we went.
-Jason

1 comment:

  1. Who knew you were a horse racing expert Jason? Must get that from your dad! I remember going to the races in Edmonton with your dad... and having fun making $2 bets.. although I may not have been old enough to actually make them? There is now a harness racing track in Lacombe.. but we haven't been yet...not sure if it has thoroughbreds as well?

    ReplyDelete